Sustainable lifestyle choices
Lifestyle Choices: This phrase in itself constitutes a long journey of realizations, modifications and adaptations. As a global unit, we all have grown together in terms of enhancing our lifestyles for the greater good of ourselves, the environment and the economy as a whole. Introducing and implementing sustainability in our lives is just the need of the hour. So, what makes a choice sustainable? What is the necessity of it? What impact does it have on our lifestyle? There are too many questions and too many ways to answer them. Our team at Enva Plax has tried to look into the matters more intensively.
What are sustainable lifestyle choices?
In simplest terms, “sustainability means meeting our own needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” To ensure a firm adoption of the concept, the United Nations also has a list of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The entire global population mutually works in the direction of achieving these for the eternal benefit of all. Our lifestyles shape our behavioural patterns, and, from a sustainability standpoint, these patterns determine our footprint. We all have an obligation to provide a better human society and a better planet for future generations. Our preferences and choices contribute to this sense of responsibility. One can join in the journey by beginning with oneself; by taking baby steps towards having a greener lifestyle.
Key Domains to implement these changes
It may come as surprising, but one can easily lead a sustainable life by making alterations in the following domains of one’s lifestyle:
- Plastic Consumption: People knowingly or unknowingly still use a lot of plastic in various products and processes. The ill-effects of plastic are known worldwide already. Small modifications like using metal straws, paper bottles, wooden combs and brushes can do wonders. Replacing plastic from our lives is necessary.
- Energy and Resource Management: In addition to moving away from non-biodegradable products and processes, we, as a part of this environment, must commit to better usage of energy and natural resources. Again, small alterations like switching off the electrical appliances, not overcooking food and reducing packaging waste is commendable to begin with.
Laws and Rules
Without beating around the bush, there are three significant rules to implement sustainable choices, viz., Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. From turning off the tap to having a small family, every step matters and every right choice takes us closer to our goal of being a sustainable planet. Some choices that make a difference are:
- Shop Conscientiously: The use of certain products threatens the habitats of some endangered species, from cutting down old-growth forests to absorbing the water that riparian species need to survive. In order to move to a sustainable choice, shop from products made from materials like bamboo, crop husks etc.
- Waste Management: It has multi-dimensional aspects. By dumping waste according to the rules of 3Rs (discarding biodegradable and non-biodegradable stuff separately and treating it differently), one is a step closer. However, using plastic dustbins or polythenes to keep the waste takes one a step behind. So, one must take care of every little detail in the processes and alter them accordingly.
- Reducing Carbon Footprint: An individual’s carbon footprint is the amount of greenhouse gases (including carbon dioxide and methane) emitted as a result of their actions.
Enva Plax facilitates products and services to those who wish to participate in the journey towards a greener future and are willing to welcome sustainability in their lifestyle choices.